28th ANNUAL 3 LAKES ICE FISHING CONTEST REGULATIONS – 2016
January 29, 30 and 31st, 2016
General Contest Rules:
1. Waters include Lake Granby, Granby Pump Canal, Shadow Mountain Lake, Grand Lake and the Colorado River 400 yards downstream from the Shadow Mountain Dam. (This point downstream to Columbine Creek is closed to fishing and foot traffic per Forest Service regulations because of eagle habitat protection). No fishing below Granby Dam.
2. Participants 16 and older must show a current Colo. Fishing License and Contest Registration Form to weigh fish and claim prizes. Youth 15 and under must show a Contest Registration Form.
3. All Colorado fishing rules and regulations apply, including bag and possession limits for adults and children. Please consult your current rules and regulations as they pertain to the above waters.
4. Only one cash prize per day will be awarded to any entrant.
5. Stomach contents are subject to examination by the Division of Wildlife.
6. Taxes, licenses & setup fees, and transportation to pick up and deliver prizes are the responsibility of the winners.
7. Each contest will start 30 minutes before sunrise (6:40 am in 2015) (Granby, CO time) and end at 4:30 pm.
8. Prizes are determined by largest weight and time entered. In the event of a tie, the first fish registered wins. (ex: If three 7-pound are the largest fish entered in a category, the one weight registered earliest will take first place, the fish entered next will take second, and the one registered the latest will take third).
9. Participants may register fish in any category, but they must declare the category before measuring or weighing the fish. Participants can only win one cash prize per day(that which is of higher retail value).
10. There will only be one upgrade of fish allowed per category. Any fish weighed or measured at the Weigh Station during contest hours will be considered entered even if it is disqualified due to length.
11. Winners will be subject to a polygraph exam as part of contest requirements. In the event deception is detected (to be determined by the polygraph administrator), the entrant’s prize will go to the person with the next largest fish.
12. Top cash winners must report to the weigh station by 4:30 pm daily. Awards will be at 5:30 pm at the Granby Community Center each day. Door prize drawing will be held Sunday at 5:30 pm
13. All daily cash winners/youth winners must be present at awards or prize will move to next in-line, door prize winners need not be present to win.
14. *Contest slot limit for Mackinaw in all categories is under 19 inches.
15. All fish must be caught by person entering the fish. All fish must be entered the day they are caught.
16. PLEASE CAREFULLY HANDLE AND IMMEDIATELY RELEASE ANY FISH OVER 19” IN LENGTH.
Must follow ALL General Contest Rules except:
A child may enter any species of fish in his/her age group.
**Grand Slam Rules
1. Each participant must catch one qualifying fish in each of the following species: Mackinaw (must be under 19 inches). Rainbow trout, Brown trout, Kokanee salmon. Mackinaw must be under 19 inches to qualify.
2. No fish entered in this category may be entered or moved into any other contest category. (i.e.: a Brown trout may not be entered in the Brown Category and the Grand Slam Category).
3. Categories must be declared before the fish is weighed or measured.
4. Each species of fish (Mackinaw, Rainbow, Brown, Kokanee) must be entered for participant to qualify. Participants may upgrade only 1 fish i.e.: participant may upgrade a Kokanee but then could not upgrade either Rainbow, Brown or Mackinaw). Only heaviest fish in each species will be counted.
5. Combined weight of fish determines winner.
***Big Fish Catch and Release Drawing Rules:
1. This is an “on your honor” contest. Fish 32” or larger that have been caught and released are eligible. PLEASE HANDLE FISH PROPERLY AND RELEASE QUICKLY!
2. Enter by photographing your fish or getting a witness signature that contains the size of your caught fish.
3. All entrants will be entered in a daily drawing for a trophy.
WEIGHING & MEASURING:
1. All Mackinaw (lake trout) will be measured by pinching the tail together and measuring from tip of nose to tip of tail.
2. Weigh station will be located at North Shore Resort. Registration form and fishing license are required for weighing in fish except for youths 15 and under (must show registration form).
3. Weigh Station will be open from 9:00am to 4:30pm daily. To enter a fish, you must be in line at the weigh station no later than 4:30pm each day.
4. No frozen fish will be accepted.
Contestants will conduct themselves in a true sportsmanlike, courteous, safe and ethical manner at all times. Every competitor is expected to participate in marshaling of the field in order to maintain the highest integrity to the competition. Any unfavorable conduct or action by a contestant, which could negatively reflect on the tournament, will be grounds for disqualification. The Weigh Master or any participating angler has a right to protest another angler.. An official written protest with $50 fee must be made with the Weigh Master within 15 minutes of completion of daily weigh-in. The fee will be returned if the protest is found valid. Following interviews with concerned parties, a ruling will be made.
i) In the event investigation indicates a violation occurred, the angler will be disqualified and cash prizes must be returned.
A polygraph may be utilized if so decided by the Weigh Master. The Weigh Master will interpret rules according to the spirit and intent of the rule and his/her decision in all disputes is final.
ii) If the protest is valid, the disqualified party must pay all investigative costs including the polygraph.
iii) If the protest is invalid, the fee will not be returned and the protesting team must pay all investigative costs including the
The Three Lakes Fishing Contest operates under special use permit on the Arapaho National Forest sponsored by the Grand Fishing Committee in cooperation with visitors to the Arapaho National Recreation Area and participants in the Fishing Contest. All off-highway vehicles (ATVs) and snowmobiles must have current registrations. Grand Fishing Committee is a special use permit holder with the USDA Forest Service and adheres to the following: The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, and marital or family status. Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (braille, large print, audio tape, etc. ) should contact USDA’s TARGET center at 202-720-2600 (voice and TDD). To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, Room 326-W Whitten Building, 14th and Independence Avenue SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (202) 720- 5964 (voice or TDD.) USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer. Fishing licenses must be current and include addendum with second rod stamps, as appropriate. The DOW regulations for mackinaw and splake consist of the following requirements: The bag possession limit for lake trout (mackinaw) and splake is 4 fish. Remember that when releasing a fish, be sure to keep it in water and limit time holding in air to take pictures, etc. This will decrease mortality rate. Please use the porta toilets or restrooms available to help keep our waters clean. Respect private property and please park in the areas plowed open for parking. Please do not block dumpsters, gates, roads or driveways. Wheeled vehicles over 1000 lbs. are restricted to designated maintained roads, and parking areas. Please use the trash bags. Be sure to pack out all cigarette butts, cans, empty fish hook bags, fishing line or other trash and deposit in the containers provided at parking areas and along the lake. Waterfowl can become entangled in fishing line and die.
Snowmobiles and Motor Vehicles Do Not Mix With Alcohol!
These are State and Federal Regulations and are not official rules of the Fishing Contest. For the Contest, please refer to the Official Rules of the Fishing Contest.
Please be careful and help us protect our environment.
As visitors to the Arapaho National Recreation Area (ANRA) and participants in the Fishing Contest, you agree to:
• Purchase, hold and properly display the required ANRA pass: passes may be obtained at the Sulphur Ranger District, Arapaho Bay fee station, or at self-service pay station at Stillwater, Greenridge & Hilltop boat ramp (credit cards only).
• Hold a current registration for all off-highway vehicles including ATVs and snowmobiles (vehicles over 1000 lbs. are restricted to designated maintained roads and parking areas). ATV’s can only access the lakes from the boat ramps, no cross country travel.
• Hold a current fishing license that includes an addendum with second rod stamp when applicable.
• Fishing huts must be portable and removed at the end of the day.
• Use toilet facilities provided by the event coordinator.
• Park only in designated areas plowed for contest.
• Pack out all refuse.
• Camp in designated areas.
• Respect the Bald Eagle closure on the North Fork of the Colorado River.
Overnight camping is permitted for self-contained units (must have indoor water and toilet facilities) in Sunset, Stillwater & Green Ridge boat launches and the Sunset Overflow. Camping is prohibited along County Road 6 (Arapaho Bay Road) and in day use areas.
COLORADO DIVISION of WILDLIFE REGULATIONS: The North Fork of the Colorado River below Shadow Mountain dam to the mouth of Lake Granby is closed to human activity on both National Park and US Forest Service public lands from November 15 to March 15 annually. This closure protects Bald Eagle winter habitat.
ANRA FEE STRUCTURE
1 day pass Valid for 24 hours from time of purchase $5/vehicle
3 day pass Valid for 72 hours from time of purchase $10/vehicle
Week pass Valid for 1 week from time of purchase $15/vehicle
ANRA Annual pass Valid for unrestricted admission for one year from time of purchase $30/family vehicle
Inter-agency Pass Valid for unrestricted admission to ANRA and most federal fee areas for one year. $80/per family vehicle